Dear Readers, it might look quirky to compare Kayak vs Raft because of their appearances and accommodation, since, both are watercrafts, so it’s the same field.
Since you might have planned an adventure, so it’s foremost important for you to know about the boats, which you would own in your journey.
Obviously, these vessels are good fun for us and very healthy practice, still these boats might be used for transporting goods and people from one spot to another.
Whether your recreational voyage couples a solo ride with fishing and water sports; or you might go for a jamboree! You need to cross the lake or river lonely or with your family and some loads! Definitely, you might opt for an appropriate water ride.
So water, which is an enjoyment, a risk and a medium; Kayaking or Rafting are the competitors, to cope you out of it!
Thus, It’s time to make up your mind under the expert’s review and you need to clear all your doubts.
By all means, we are always committed, to align your ambiguities for a definitive judgment.
Let’s work together and move ahead!
Table of Contents
A Glimpse at Kayak vs Raft
No doubt, your time is precious to us; Here is an orientation overview for you in brief:
8’ to 19’
12’ to 14’ or even more
One to two people
3 to 14 persons
Expert Guide is mandatory
Conveniently transported and environment friendly
Small capacity for persons and goods
Massive life risk
A Solo Kayaks Voyage
So, kayaks are no doubt an adventure, when you would like to go on a solo ride. Kayaks are, basically, narrow and long boats with a curved hull, which supports it to cut the harsh water waves of the deep river.
Additionally, kayaks provide you an excellent opportunity for recreational activities like fishing, solo boating, etc.
Kayaks – Main Parts and Their Functions
To demonstrate the comparison, the main parts of the Kayak, are listed below with their brief intro:
- The Deck is the top part of the kayak.
- The bottom part of the kayak which is submerged in water is the
- Stern is the posterior end of the kayak while Bow is the anterior head.
- The Kayaker sits in the Cockpit containing Thigh Braces and Foot Braces which comfort and grip him in the cockpit.
- The Skeg helps the kayak in
- The Rudder is a steerable skeg either present under the hull or on the transom.
- The Kayaker can store his belongings in the airtight
Mainly, kayaks are designed for sports and leisure activities. There shape is specialized to drift in flat, deep waters or even high tides. Its curved, long and slender shape of the hull is much supportive in its efficient waft.
Basically, it’s the shape of the hull that provides stability or support to kayak while maneuvering. The flatness of hull ensures its stability in standing water; though the curved shape provides it ease, to cut the waves and move ahead.
To move these vessels, kayaker uses oars or paddles in a special manner. So, it might move forward, backward or sideways by rowing backward direction, stroking forward or turning the oar around in a semicircle, respectively.
Furthermore, some specialized devices like a rudder or skeg are also attached for steering and tracking.
Skeg is fin a like part, extended down in water that enables the kayak to track longer.
Types of Kayaks
Definitely, you might need to know a few types of kayaks that are trendy, nowadays. So, a few are summarized below:
10’ or less
Easy to store
Absolute for fishing
Of course, Rafting is an ultimate adventure for your friends to enjoy together. Therefore, Rafting is a combo for you and your friends to enjoy the treacherous tides in white water.
Although it might be risky, still, if you would have an expert guide accompanying you in the journey, it would be a benign venture. So, whether you have three more friends or a bigger circle of fourteen friends, you might enjoy Rafting.
Fortunately, in Kayak vs Raft, the raft wins for the Friends and Families!
Hence, for your comprehension and introduction, we would discuss the assembly and the mechanism of a raft, below:
Rafts – Main Parts and Their Functions
- Stern Mount is a metal scaffold on the upper side of the raft, having a bench or seat for the Trained Guide. It is also provided with two oars to row the raft.
- Foot Cups are fabricated pockets that hold the feet of the guests in the raft. Guests are persons other than the guide.
- Thwarts are the cylindrical tubes across the raft that makes it stiff. Also, it positions the guests by providing them enough support.
- Rafters use Paddles to row it. Here, in the raft, you would have to support your guide with the paddles provided. Although guide being an expert is the main motorist, you need to follow.
- Personal Flotation device(PFD) along with the helmet is the major safety equipment, which each guest and the guide must be dressed in. No matter, how expert you might be, Safety is always preliminary measure.
- Grab rope passes through D-rings all around the raft. Basically, this rope is to ensure more safety to the guests. Accidentally, if any rafter drops into the water, it aids him to jump back.
Although Rafting seems to be a very basic water adventure, in actual, it’s a perilous and needs a certain level of expertise to go.
In a basic Rafting adventure of 10 people, nine of them, including the guide might row the paddles. While to balance the raft, 10th of them sits in the middle to provide stability to the inflattened raft.
Here, paddling the boat in the backward direction moves the raft forward and vice versa. To steer it around, rafters need to paddle in semi-circle strokes. Also, they might use sweep stroke to move nearer to the edges of the land.
As an illustration, rowing the boat in Kayak vs Raft, the basic paddle strokes are almost alike.
Types of Rafts
In real, rafts are versatile water vessels, providing particular benefits to the rafters. Mostly rafts are appropriate for whitewater voyages, also they might be used in static water.
Here, a few types of rafts are briefly elaborated below:
By all means, Kayak vs Raft, are the utmost thrill for upcoming generations. To enjoy the treacherous rivers, whether, you are single or even if you have a family gathering, these are the experienced modern options for your escapades.
So, when you want to enjoy on flat waters or white water alone, obviously kayaking is an affordable option for you. Initially, you would go for Whitewater Kayaking at beginners level with the guidance of some expert. No doubt it’s very easy, relatively; but don’t forget to wear the Personal Floatation device or life jacket.
On the other hand, Rafting needs more expertise because these are bigger boats with more paddlers. There is a foremost risk of dis-balance. Hence, a proper guide is too mandatory, so you might enjoy with your gathering, confidently. The art of Rafting, carry certain levels of expertise, depending on the raft and the water, in which you might surf.
As a matter of fact, water sports are becoming a renowned healthy recreational activity. Therefore, arrange for the endeavor accordingly, keeping all the attributes in your plan!