Wow! Kayaking! You have selected an awesome leisure activity, so you need to know, how to buy a used kayak!
Definitely, if you are new to this hobby or you don’t have an ample amount of money, you have a good choice to purchase a used kayak, instead of a new and expensive one.
We agree, buying something new, is just part of your daily routine. When buying a used kayak, you must be very vigilant because there are certain financial and physical risks to consider.
So, No worries at all!
Here we have planned to demonstrate you all the grounds which would help you to select the best secondhand kayak to meet requirements.
Whether you are a newbie or an expert kayaker, hopefully, all your ambiguities would be addressed below.
Understanding Kayaks – Types and Assembly
Before buying a kayak, you need to know the purpose for which you are planning to purchase the kayak. So it’s necessary to know the typography and the assembly of the kayaks.
Firstly, knowing the parts of kayak would help you to understand the types and the factors you are considering to buy a used kayak more easily.
Main Parts of a Kayak
In reality we could describe a kayak into many parts, still you would need to know a few, initially. We enlist these parts below to elaborate.
- Deck: The top flattened part of the kayak is called Deck.
- Hull: The bottom part facing towards the water surface.
- Stern: The pointed rear end of the boat
- Bow: It is the anterior pointed tip of the boat.
- Cockpit: It is a cavity with a seat, from where you would steer your boat.
- Skeg: A skeg is a static fin that enables you keep on your way.
- Rudder: Rudder is a specialized skeg with feature of adjustment.
- Hatch: It is a small storage space with a flip cover to keep your belongings while kayaking.
- Thigh braces: These are cushion pads in the cockpit to adjust you comfortably in.
- Foot braces: They are the pads on the foot place in the cockpit. It helps you control the rudder. Hence, help you to steer your kayak.
- Carry handles: They provide you a good grip while transporting a kayak.
- Scupper Holes: These are holes on deck for drainage of water which splash over.
Kayaks and Waters – Match your requirement
Whenever you want to purchase a kayak, you must require to keep the water mood in your mind, which you might have to face while kayaking. Whether you have to kayak in static water or running river water.
These boats are nearly 10 feet long, with a close cockpit. They are relatively slower as they lack the ability of tracking because of their smaller length. They are easy for storage due to its size.
They have open cockpits, so one can easily get into it. These kayaks are relatively wider to compensate the upthrust of the water also they are well suited for fishing purpose as its gears are easily accessible.
See also: Best Sit On Top Kayak Under 500
Their length might be 12 feet or long. They are narrower and have small cockpits with thigh braces to tightly hold the rider into its cockpit. It provides the kayaker to manage and rollover upright again if tipped.
They have better skills of tracking because of its long and narrow streamlined shape. They are expensive and strenuous to store because of their size.
These kayaks are pedaled with feet, hence are suitable for folks who hesitate to use their shoulder and arm muscles for some sickness. However, they are expensive
For flat waters inflatable kayaks are not well suited. They lack comfort and tracking feature.
On the other hand, for white waters they are too appropriate.
So, you would see these kayaks listed in used sea kayaks on sale online!
No doubt, these kayaks are a duo-adventure, in which two kayakers paddle in a rhythm to move ahead. Different types of tandem boats are available in market for flat waters and white waters. Some of these are inflatable.
Undoubtedly, tandem kayaking is an absolute adventure!
Basically, river runners are ideal to travel on the river because of their size. Their length is approximately 8 feet, which allows it to track in the flat water of the river, besides its shorter size enables it to steer in the cuts and turns. Its hatch has a bigger capacity for storage.
These are, basically, inflatable kayaks, and ideal for river kayaking as well. If you are a beginner, it would be a good suggestion to buy or rent it for learning purposes.
Old School Kayaks:
These are the older make of kayaks, in 80 to 90s. They are nearly 10 to 12 feet long which is good for the flat river section while not supportive for river turns. They have smaller cockpit.
Used Kayaks – Do’s and Don’ts
Hence, you are now very much updated and let’s come to the point!
According to your waters and the knowledge given above, hopefully, you would have decided the type of kayak you want to buy.
Now, simply you could browse, the kayaks online in used kayaks classified advertisements.
Luckily, if you have found a close match of your required kayak, you need to verify the following key arguments in your priority:
- Firstly, check the hull of the kayak. If it has certain scratches, don’t bother. But, in case of any accident, you won’t buy this as it might be risky for you.
- Verify the age of the kayak by asking the owner.
- Obviously, its original documents and paperwork, also, need to be sure.
- Also, do probe the owner about its storage. If it was stored under the trampoline, examine the kayak carefully. It might have spreads of fungus and mold.
- Definitely, you would need to know the reason, the owner might have planned to sell his kayak to avoid any risk and confusion.
- Especially, don’t forget to take a test drive. As it might reveal you about any leakage or damage issue. Also, you would check, if you better fit into it and have grip to gear properly.
- Also, before making the deal, it would be helpful to browse used kayak price guide from the internet. It might help you to bargain the final rate.
So, buying a used kayak is no doubt a little tricky!
Now, you are an expert to buy a used kayak! Definitely, buying a used article such as a kayak might be a challenging task.
You need to buy the ideal kayak in your budget. So, it would be necessary to grasp the best advises to go ahead. Literally, it is the investment against the risky challenges of water ripples.
Therefore, make your shopping a satisfaction by adhering to our suggestions!